In honor of the official autumnal equinox, otherwise known as the first day of fall (not to be confused with the arrival of the pumpkin spice latte at Starbucks) I thought I'd share one of our new favorite meals. I found this recipe for Sweet Potato Basil Soup at PaleOMG, a paleo recipe blog done by a fellow Coloradan.
Soup is a quintessential sign of cooler temperatures and I am always happy to find easy, slow cooker recipes that are not only Paleo, but husband pleasing. Not to mention I have to be able to get the ingredients here in Israel without paying a small fortune. This dinner fit all of those requirements, a high calling I assure you.
I paired this Sweet Potato Basil soup with one of my new favorite concoctions, a pesto burger.
For the soup:
Ingredients (Serves: 3-4)
- 2 sweet potatoes or yams, diced
- ½ yellow onion, sliced
- 1 (14oz) can of coconut milk
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon dried basil
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Place all ingredients in the crockpot.
- Mix around.
- Cook for 3 hours on high.
- Use a hand blender, blender, or food processor and puree mixture until smooth. My 9 cup food processor fit it all just perfectly.
- Eat up! If you have leftover meat, add it to your soup…obviously.
For the burger:
Take some ground beef and add in a couple of spoonfuls of pesto! Don't be shy, for us the more the better to get that flavor. I make my own pesto, without the cheese, but you can use the store bought kind too. Mix it all together really well and cook it up!
I added the burger to the top of my soup and also threw in some leftover diced tomatoes that we had for a little acidic kick to the soup. You can add as you like!