On my "bookshelf"


I had to put bookshelf in quotes for the title of this post because most of the books we own are on our iPads. Oh sure, there is something about the feel of a book in your hands, the smell, the pages turning...I get it. There is also something to be said for the feel of a box of books in your hands, twelve times, down the stairs.

Can I get an amen?

So, while I tend to prefer the analog life, this is one exception I was happy to make. For Christmas Kurt asked me what I wanted and I said " all I want is an Amazon gift card for books." He didn't believe me  initially (a direct repercussion from our first Christmas together when I said "oh you don't have to get me anything..."), but with my full guarantee in hand, I woke up to a lovely e-mail guaranteeing me my very own $25 book budget.

That, my friends, was gold. Seriously I went all Charlie and the Chocolate Factory with that thing, dancing down the streets and all, minus the whole grandparents in the living room bit though. That was weird. I think Kurt was shocked to understand how serious I was.

Anyways. Amazon has daily and monthly Kindle book deals and I scour those things like a hawk. So far this year I have read Gone Girl (I'm still angry with all of you who told me to read that), The Husband's Secret, The Book Thief and The Light Between Oceans (probably my favorite of the four). Basically I'm plowing my way through some of the recent best sellers. Sometimes you just want a novel, it's my tv...something to get lost in. Have you read any good books lately? Do tell, I'm eager for a new one. I'm working my way through some borrowed books now...trying to save the last bit of that gift card for a good one!

Do you have the "I got a golden ticket" song stuck in your head now?
I do.
Sorry about that. :)

1 comment:

Becca said...

So glad you enjoyed "Light Between the Oceans"! Did you cry? I found it so hard to read, but also thought it was a brilliant story.

"The Book Thief" is on my list, too! Elliott read "Gone Girl" and said it was worth my time, but I'm still not sure...